Sep 15, 2008

Sec. Rice for War with Russia

In the interest of good ol' bi-partisanship, it is fair to note that Palin's declarations of a 'War with Russia' copied verse for verse current US Policy on NATO expansion. In fact, the "moose hunting rube" satirized on SNL sure did sound a lot like US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (not a moose hunter) at the NATO Summit in April:

"We agreed today that these countries [Georgia and Ukraine] will become members of NATO," said Rice. "There have long been questions about whether NATO would be prepared to . . . countenance membership for a country in the Caucasus like Georgia. And this is an unequivocal statement, yes."

Few have accused Sec. Rice of wanting to start a war with Russia, or for that matter, lacking expertise in foreign affairs. And if you look really hard, you can almost see Russia from the windows of Foggy Bottom.

9 comments:

Mrta said...

Wooah - That's going a little far, don't you think? Condi would not answer a question about likelyhood of war with Russia with a "Perhaps so."

As for the windows in Foggy Bottom, I'm lookin' out right now, and all I see is Abe Lincoln.

Mrta said...

Ok, I'm going to back up a little myself. The question was apparently:

GIBSON: And under the NATO treaty, wouldn’t we then have to go to war if Russia went into Georgia?

PALIN: Perhaps so. I mean, that is the agreement when you are a NATO ally, is if another country is attacked, you’re going to be expected to be called upon and help.

I'd say the question is leading her on to say we'll attack Russia, when it presumes that Georgia is in NATO, which it is not.

Pirates(and)Diplomats said...

Yeah, the issue is Article 5.

This is why I think the whole issue is overblown, since the Euros will veto Georgia's membership...

...Something with which the next White House will have to cone to terms.

Ern said...

Okay, I CLEARLY struck a nerve.

1. The title I provided is the ACTUAL title from Russia Today, which is cause for concern.

2. I'm not saying anything Palin says is incorrect or misguided, but don't say, "Russia is our next door neighbor" as reasoning for your response. I have two next door neighbors and I don't s*%& about either of them. I would appreciate her to reference information for her responses to serious foreign policy questions, which then are reported on in the foreign news.

Ern said...

Sorry, correction, "Palin for War with Russia" was how it appeared in my google reader.

Pirates(and)Diplomats said...

...lol, clearly. =)

Which is why I think Fran Drescher should be our next Sec. of State.

jaybird said...

Maybe not from Foggy Bottom, but from Rosslyn where there is no building height restriction.

Pirates(and)Diplomats said...

ROTFL, I love it.

Mrta said...

I completely agree with you, Ern, that "I can see Russia" is not foreign policy experience. I'm also annoyed with ABC, though, that they made it look like she didn't know Georgia wasn't in NATO, when their question basically assumed that it was.

I think the Euros could come around on Georgia. Just not while it's relevant.