Oct 13, 2008

Lukashenka Permitted to Travel through Europe

I did NOT okay this!

NY Times: The European Union temporarily suspended a travel ban on President Aleksandr G. Lukashenko of Belarus on Monday, rewarding the authoritarian leader for recent democratic gains in an effort to encourage further reform.

The move will eliminate travel restrictions for Mr. Lukashenko and select Belarussian officials for a six-month period, conditional on additional improvements in the direction of greater media freedoms, respect for human rights and guarantees of political pluralism, said Christiane Hohmann, a spokeswoman for the European Commission, the union’s executive branch.

Um....what democratic gains? That election was a sham. And what about the closed-door trial held for Emmanuel Zeltser (http://www.saveemanuelzeltser.com/)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you enter, will look progressive for more cognate articles in a jiffy as its one of my choice question to read.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.